Due to high demand order dispatch may be delayed by 2-4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does 'Investment Gold' mean?
- Will my bullion have an Assay Certificate?
- What does 'Good Delivery' mean?
- Some of your Coins are listed as 'CGT Free'. What does this mean?
Investment Gold is the term applied to products that are exempt from VAT by virtue of complying with the following criteria:
- For Gold Bars: Gold of a purity not less than 995 parts in 1000 that is in the form of a bar or a wafer, of a weight accepted by the bullion markets.
- For Gold Coins: a Gold coin minted after 1800 that is of a purity of not less than 900 parts in 1000; which is, or has been, legal tender in its country of origin; and is of a description of coin that is normally sold at a price that does not exceed 180% of the open market value of the gold contained in the coin.
Yes. Larger bullion bars are individually cast, stamped with an identifying serial number and supplied with an individual Assay Certificate.
Some minted coins and small bars (from 1g to 100g) do not have individually stamped serial numbers but are supplied with numbered Assay Certificates set in the clear plastic case with the Gold.
We also supply a UK Bullion certificate of authenticity with all items.
Good Delivery is the term used to describe the standard of products produced by companies on the London Bullion Market Association list of accredited melters and assayers. See http://www.lbma.org.uk/delivery for more information.
Certain Gold Coins can be used for investment purposes and attract Capital Gains Tax Free status. The basis of this exemption is that they are UK coins that are recognised as currency.
HMRC notice TCGA92/S21 (1) (b) states: Currency in sterling is not an asset for capital gains purposes. It is the unit by reference to which capital gains are measured.
A further HMRC notice CG78308 states: Sovereigns minted in 1837 and later years and Britannia gold coins are currency but, like all sterling currency, are exempt because of TCGA92/S21 (1)(b).
The relevant coins are marked as such in our product descriptions.